Bone Broth for Dogs: A Comprehensive Guide
Give your dogs a wellbeing boost with a simple and nutritious addition to their diet: Bone Broth. Whether you use it as a treat or to support your dog in it's everyday life, it’s a great choice for any dog owner. In this guide, we outline the nutritional benefits of bone broth as well as providing tricks and tips for adding it into your dog’s daily diet.
What is bone broth and is it good for my dog?
Bone broth is a nutritious stock that is produced when animal bones are simmered for some time, creating a tasty treat that boosts your dog’s wellbeing. It is packed with nutrients, vitamins, and minerals that help your pup feel at its best. It is also low in calories and a healthy daily snack. The benefits include:
- Rich in collagen, supporting joint health and digestion
- Promotes good cardiac and heart health
- Relieves symptoms of arthritis
- Rehydrates your dog
- Improves skin and coat
- Helps maintain liver function, increasing immunity
- Promotes digestion and gut health
How does bone broth help my dog’s joints?
Bone broth is rich in collagen, which supports your dog’s joints and mobility, alongside relieving symptoms of arthritis. It also has anti-inflammatory properties, which provide strength and protection to the joints.
How does bone broth benefit my dog’s cardiovascular system?
Some breeds of dog have a naturally low level of blood platelets, which are essential for healthy blood clotting; this is common in Cavalier King Charles Spaniels, Greyhounds, and Basset Hounds. Bone Broth helps to stimulate your dog’s body to produce platelets which helps to avoid blood loss, sudden bleeding, and bruising.
Other breeds have a genetic predisposition making them more prone to developing clogged arteries, which can lead to fatalities including heart attacks. These breeds include Doberman Pinschers, Labradors / retrievers, Poodles, Beagles, and Shetland Sheepdogs.
Bone broth is rich in amino acids that support a healthy cardiovascular system. When absorbed into your dog’s body, it triggers the blood vessels to relax, allowing blood to flow smoothly and prevent blockages.
How can bone broth detox my dog’s liver and boost immunity?
The liver is responsible for filtering harmful toxins out of your dog’s body; however, over time, dangerous toxins can build up and reduce the liver’s ability to do so. An increased amount of toxins puts pressure on the immune system, which in turn becomes overworked and increases risk of illness.
Bone broth has a naturally high content of glycine that works to detox the liver, boosting your dog’s immunity.
How does bone broth promote a healthy gut?
Nutrients are absorbed into your dog’s body through small pores in their intestines. If you have noticed your dog has a sensitive stomach or experiences gut problems, this is most likely due to these pores expanding and allowing toxins to pass through. Our bone broth contains gelatine which blocks larger pores to prevent harmful toxins passing through.
Dogs, being adventurous animals, can ingest items they shouldn’t; this can damage the connective tissues throughout their digestive tract and cause unwanted stomach issues. Bone broth aids the repair of these tissues, keeping tummy troubles at bay.
How does bone broth support my dog’s bodily functions?
Like humans, dogs need essential vitamins and minerals to support essential daily functions such as muscle contraction, nerve impulses, sleep, and hydration. Without minerals such as calcium, sodium and potassium, these functions would not be possible.
Bone broth contains electrolytes that help to direct water to where it is required around the body which helps to regulate body temperature, protect organs, carry oxygen around the body and help to remove waste products and toxins from the body.
How does bone broth improve my dog’s skin and coat?
Bone broth is rich in collagen, a major component of skin. This will improve skin elasticity, strength, and hydration, making it great for senior dogs and those with sensitive skin.
You may notice when your dog is feeling under the weather, they tend to avoid solid foods and kibble. Broth is a great temporary source of nutrients to replenish nutrients lost via vomiting or diarrhoea.
Although bone broth is filled with goodness, it is important to note it is not to be used as a meal replacement as it does not contain the required amino acid profile for your dog to maintain a healthy life.
Recommendations for using bone broth for dogs
Bone broth is a great dietary supplement that you can get creative with to keep your pet entertained and boost enrichment!
Here are a few of our favourite ways to use it:
- Starting simple; whether your dog enjoys a kibble or raw food diet, pouring bone broth over the top adds diversity to your dog’s everyday diet. The delicious meaty flavour will even encourage the fussiest eaters back to their food.
- We recommend adding bone broth into and ice tray / mould and freezing for a few hours. This will create a fun, long-lasting treat. The change is texture can be mentally stimulating for your dog and keep them distracted when home alone. By adding a treat before freezing, this will make sure your dog stays engaged for a long period of time. You could even create Bone Broth Ice Lollies by adding a long chew or rabbit ear to the centre!
- If you usually add Peanut Butter to your dog’s lick mat, consider using Bone Broth as an additional topper to add essential vitamins and minerals to your dog’s diet whilst keeping them entertained.
- For an enjoyable and nutritious activity, add some small treats to the bone broth into a large bowl and let your dog ‘fish’ for the treats. This is an ideal way to keep your dog healthy, happy, and hydrated!
Why beef bone broth?
You may be asking yourself, why should I pick beef bone broth over chicken or turkey? Here are a few reasons why it may be a better choice for your pup:
- Beef bone broth has a much stronger and tasty flavour in comparison to others such as chicken bone broth.
- Beef bones are dense, therefore they are packed with a higher volume of minerals and collagen. This increases energy levels and supports healthy skin and organ functioning.
- Beef bones are rich in Glycine, an amino acid which will help your dog’s sleep and mood. Glycine triggers a natural increase in serotonin; the ‘feel-good’ hormone!
- As Beef bone broth has the highest glycine content, it is a better at maintaining a healthy gut than others.
Bone broth is a simple and effective way of ensuring your dogs gets all the vitamins and minerals it needs to support overall health and wellbeing. With its many health benefits and delicious taste, bone broth is sure to become a staple in your dog's diet!